Legal Question in Traffic Law in Michigan

I moved from Michigan two years ago. My liscence was suspended for traffic fines, but I had no Drivers Responsibility Fees at that time.

Since moving, I never got a liscence, but continued to drive when necessary in Wisconsin. Hey, I was homeless and needed to work or freeze.

Got tickets in Wisconsin, but they are cool w/ it. Already off my liscence in Wisconsin (1 year after ticket). I am trying to get a liscence in Wisconsin now, and they say I owe Drivers Responsiblity Fees in Michigan for the tickets I got since I moved to Wisconsin. Michigan Treasury (collection agency they pay) says Michigan Law allows them to access me even after I moved. Tried to look it up on website, but they say they can asses you as an out of stater, but only if the tickets occured in Michigan. They did not.

How can I get these fees removed?

Asked on 12/09/09, 7:42 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC

You can't. Michigan law allows it and if you want a license suspension lifted, you need to make a payment plan with the state.

Read more
Answered on 12/14/09, 7:51 pm
James Schmier Law Office of James G. Schmier, PLLC

I agree with other answer. You must pay Michigan or negotiate payment plan. If you need help contact my office.

Read more
Answered on 12/14/09, 8:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Michigan