Legal Question in Business Law in Michigan

I started a corporation 60,000 shares with a partner in Michigan in October 2016. We had a difference of opinion and now she has blocked me from all company access. Emails, website, documents I created to successfully run the company. We have both invested in the company financially, she has invested maybe $1000 more than me in the time the business has existed. We do not have a shareholders agreement, operating agreement, no board of directors or bylaws. Only our business plan and articles naming us both as incorporators and co-owners of the business. She is under the impression she has a right to do this.

What can I do?

Asked on 5/11/17, 11:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brad Lambert Lambert & Lambert PLC

You have a number of options - call a company meeting, demand access to the books and records (online or paper), demand payment of any money owed to you, or if matters are beyond repair demand that the company be dissolved. There are other choices as well, and some of those options depending upon the nature of the company's business. Any demands you make should be in writing.

Unfortunately, none of these actions will likely resolve your problems without court action or at least the legitimate threat of court action. Your message indicates matters have proceeded beyond the point of voluntary cooperation. It appears you will need the assistance of an attorney to make any progress on any front.

Read more
Answered on 5/11/17, 1:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Michigan