Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Michigan

Can I sue the police for entering my home.

While on vacation, We set up security cams to monitor the house while we were gone. We left our 17yr old daughter behind while we went on vacation. We had her grandma coming over to check on her and watch the dog.

One day the girl let the dog out in the morning before school, and forgot to let him back in before she left.

We moved to this house 3 months before and have not met any neighbors yet due to the time of year. Moved in in middle of December.

The neighbor works during the day and sometimes her father comes to the house to babysit.

Well because the dog was left outside, the neighbors father, who doesnt live at the house, and comes to the house a little after 6:00am, and never met us before, called the police and said that someone might be injured in the house. The police showed at 9:00am and scared the dog off. Then they entered the house through the back door that the girl left unlocked because she was going to lock it when she let the dog back in. There was nothing visible from the outside that would indicate there might be someone in trouble inside.

While inside, they found my medical marijuana and my girlfriends gun safe. They drilled the safe and took everything.

No charges are pending, but they are trying to keep over 14,000 worth of firearms. They want her to forfeit them because of the legal, but possibly over the weight limit marijuana.

When they entered the house, we were halfway through our 10 day vacation.

Asked on 8/03/13, 2:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Loeb Law Offices of Thomas M. Loeb

I think that your girlfriend may have a valid lawsuit. Was there a search warrant issued for the gun safe?

At what stage is the forfeiture case? She needs to post a bond to fight it. This must be done timely.

I have handled both suits against the police, and forfeitures.

I also actively counsel medical marijuana patients and caregivers.

Call me.


Read more
Answered on 8/03/13, 2:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Michigan