Legal Question in Technology Law in Michigan

I have an ex boyfriend that I either has remote access to my computer OR he has been pretending to be someone else, fooling me and getting pictures of me that I sent (thinking it was someone different). The reason i know this is because 2 times in the last few weeks, he sent me a simple email, each one contained one picture, that I have NEVER emailed to him. These pictures were in my computer in my files. And to answer the next question, no there is no one in my home with access to my computer who could have emailed these to him.I never granted him remote access. That doesnt mean that he didnt do something to my computer without my knowledge while we were together. I turned off remote access thru my windows just in case, but he still has accessed 2 files now that I have in my computer. My question is, is there andything legally I can do? How can I prove he accessed my pictures without my permission?

Asked on 1/22/10, 6:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Audra Arndt Audra A. Arndt & Associates, PLLC

Did you consider that he could have copied these pictures during your relationship? You need to install security programs on your computer to prevent him and others from accessing your computer, and talk to a computer expert to determine what other steps you should take.

Regarding filing criminal charges, you need to be able to prove that it was him who accessed your computer, which would require a computer expert to look at your computer and see who, if anyone, has gained illegal access to it, and what files they looked at. If there is a record of someone doing this, you must also be able to prove that it was your ex, such as by the computer tech tracing the IP address or other identifying information. The cops would likely not take a report or follow up on your complaint without more evidence up front.

You need to start by talking to a computer tech/expert to determine if he can find any evidence of someone accessing your computer illegally, and that they accessed those pics remotely or during a time when your ex didn't have access to your house/computer.

If you need a computer expert's info to discuss this with him, please let me know, as I have a good, honest person who can assist you.

Read more
Answered on 1/30/10, 2:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Computer & Technology Law questions and answers in Michigan