Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Michigan

Can you counter sue a business that is suing you for failure to pay a balance on a bill that you didn't know you had when in the last 7 years no one has contacted you about the bill?

Asked on 4/10/17, 3:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Campbell Andrew L. Campbell Attorney at Law

No not unless you are relying upon a contractual right in the underlying agreement. There are a lot of other issues you can look into though. Did you make any payments or promise to pay in the last six years? If you haven't then that could be a statute of limitations issue but that must be raised immediately within 21 days of being handed the complaint and done so as an affirmative defense. There are a lot of other issues to explore and it will depend upon the attitude of the judge in the underlying case.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/17, 8:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Michigan