Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Michigan

My daughter's soon to be ex husband has a gambling addiction - he has horrible credit and even his lease vehicle is in my daughter's name. he took out a personal loan for $30,000 from quicken loans in my daughter's name without her consent. everything was done via his email address and the quicken deposited the money in her huband's account - and account that does not have my daughter's name on it nor does she have access to this bank account -it is in his and his mother's name only. he is going to try and force her to pay for half of this in the divorce claiming that it is marital debt. this will put her in financial hardship as she lost her job a couple of weeks ago and is frantically looking for new employment. she has 2 small children - the oldest is my son in law's. she contacted quicken loans to demand they take this debt out of her name and they told her she has to file a police report and they would then send the case to their fraud dept. he could lose his job at chysler because fraud and identity theft is a felony. this is a catch 22 situation because if he lost his job he could not pay child support. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Asked on 3/19/19, 3:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas R. Morris Silverman & Morris, P.L.L.C.

This is a dilemma. However, it’s not necessary to file a police report to avoid liability for a debt not owed. Your daughter needs a competent attorney.

Read more
Answered on 3/19/19, 4:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Michigan