Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Michigan

I had a an exparte motion renew a civil judgement mailed to me, The civil judgement/debt does not show up on my credit report. Will it since it was renewed? Can they garnish my pay?

Asked on 5/22/20, 8:57 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jesse Sweeney Sweeney Law Offices, P.L.L.C.

Credit reporting is optional on the part of the creditor, and it depends on underlying debt. If they have a judgment, they could then use it to garnish your wages. You can stop the garnishment by filing an objection to the garnishment in State court or try to reduce it. If that doesn't work or you don't want to spend the money to hire a lawyer to do that, you can consider filing a Chapter 7 or 13. Would be happy to go over options with you in detail.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/20, 3:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Michigan