Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Michigan

Hello I received a Writ of Garnishment from Asset Acceptance but I don't see them anywhere on my credit reports. The debt was before 2008, I was getting my wages garnished back then but then I moved and it has now started back. Is it possible that the debt fell off my report and they are able to collect.

Asked on 9/06/17, 8:56 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Andrew Campbell Andrew L. Campbell Attorney at Law

It doesn't matter if it is on your report or not. A judgment in Michigan is good for ten years then if they move within that time period they can extend that for another ten years. So you should check the court records (case number is top right and court name is top left of documents) and see 1) when default judgment was entered, 2) when they filed an ex-parte notice to renew the judgment, and 3) if that date was timely.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/17, 9:03 am
Jesse Sweeney Sweeney Law Offices, P.L.L.C.

Yes it's possible it 'fell off your report' and yes they are able to collect. Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy should be able to stop the garnishment, however.

Read more
Answered on 9/14/17, 5:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Michigan