Legal Question in Criminal Law in Michigan

I was physically assaulted and threatened by my girlfriend's brother, but we don't want to press charges because he's her family. However, we both want a restraining order. He is imbalanced with access to firearms and other weapons, and he threatened to come to my house. Can I get a restraining order on these grounds?

Asked on 4/27/13, 8:11 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Morrison Action Defense Center

Probably not, since what is missing from your narrative are the facts. "physically assaulted and threatened" are your conclusions (i.e. opinions). An example of facts would be "punched, kicked, pushed etc." or "told me he'd kill me".

Also absent is a relationship with the brother. Your girlfriend (his sister) has one and you don't. She can file for a PPO.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/13, 7:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Michigan