Legal Question in Criminal Law in Michigan

A work background check shows I was charged with a felony home invasion in 1/2007. It named me as a co-defendant to a person who lived down the street from me. I was never friends with them and was never involved in a home invasion, nor was I ever questioned, arrested, or made known of any charge against me. I have no idea what it is about. The court record shows I was charged with the crime and it says "recommendation for warrant," ( I checked random reports and this was ALWAYS followed with "warrant signed") however it never shows a warrant being issued or signed. I have a clean record, with not so much as a speeding ticket. I have been in the military since this time, purchased firearms, and had security clearances that showed nothing of the aforementioned matter. What do I do?

All information on the court website matches myself, including full name and d.o.b. Furthermore, I live out of state now and traveling to the court in question would be unduly burdensome, and next to impossible. They will give no information over the phone, and to make matters worse, it is in Wayne County, which is known for being disorganized and chaotic. I have passed numerous federal background checks, have traveled out of country several times, and nothing has come up until this most recent employee background check; it literally makes not sense

Asked on 10/23/13, 9:30 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Kronzek Kronzek & Cronkright P.L.L.C.

the Michigan State Police are responsible for keeping and assembling those records. You may be able to find instructions on their website to correct an error. If not, you might want to have an attorney involved in resolving this problem.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 4:47 am

Jared Austin Austin Legal Services, PLC

I had a similar issue recently with a client from the Wayne County Courts. Sometimes errors are made for whatever reason, especially if you have the same or similar name or identifying information of someone else.I would suggest contacting the Michigan State police to see what can be done, or contact Wayne County Courts to see if you can get a copy of the case file paperwork and/or police records from the police department to see what happened. It may very well be that someone implicated you during the police investigation and therefore the police requested that a warrant be placed out for your arrest solely based upon that information. You may also want to consider retaining a lawyer from the Wayne County area to see if this matter can get cleared up.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 5:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Michigan