Legal Question in DUI Law in Michigan

DUI, Grand theft auto, auto accident

How much trouble am I in? I was drinking and took my girlfriend's car Friday night. I hit a snowbank and damaged her car. I returned her car the next day. She made a police report. I willingly went to the police station where I was interrogated. I admitted I was drinking and driving, also to smoking pot. I also admitted to taking my girlfriend's car and getting into the accident. The police considered that ''leaving the scene of an accident''. I signed my written statement. They have about 5 charges against me. Stealing the car, drinking and driving, driving under the influence of drugs, leaving the scene, taking the keys, and driving on a suspended license. I have an impending court date. I can not afford an attorney. Should I stand mute and request a trial by jury and get a court appointed attorney. Also, could I get jail time?

Also, they did not do a breathalyzer, can they charge me with a DUI?

Asked on 2/03/09, 4:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Kronzek Kronzek & Cronkright P.L.L.C.

Re: DUI, Grand theft auto, auto accident

I STRONGLY recommend you find a way to hire an experienced, aggressive attorney. You could be in huge trouble and could be sent to jail or prison. You are not qualified to practice law. You could opt to settle for a court appointed lawyer but I never recommend that. We get too many complaints about court appointed lawyers.

For more information, go to:

Read more
Answered on 2/03/09, 5:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Michigan