Legal Question in DUI Law in Michigan

Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor

My 18 year old son hosted a party that included alcohol and minors. The police arrived and everyone ran. My son & many of the other party goers came to my house to hide from the police. When the police came to my door looking for the kids, he said who ever came out to talk to him would be let go without anything. My son came out & talked to him, went back to the house with the police while they searched the house. During their search they found an 18 year old girl hiding in the closet. They did a breathalizer test on her(she blew .075) but not on my son. They wrote him a ticket for ''furnishing alcohol to a minor'' and let the girl go without anything (her mother is a police officer in the same town) My question is should he hire an attorney and fight the charge because he is a minor himself & is not old enough to purchase alcohol & the party was a bring your own and also what is the fine for furnishing alcohol.

Asked on 12/20/04, 11:05 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jeffrey Buehner Jeffrey Buehner, PLLC

Re: Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor

Based upon the facts you describe, you should hire an attorney to review any potential search & seizure and/or other constitutional or procedural issues. Depending upon what your son and the other individuals involved had to say, there may or may not be a defense, but you need an attorney to do the proper legal analysis.

Read more
Answered on 12/21/04, 1:09 am

Jesse Sweeney Sweeney Law Offices, P.L.L.C.

Re: Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor

You should hire an attorney regardless of whether the offense is one that can be faught against.

Read more
Answered on 1/01/05, 8:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Michigan