Legal Question in Elder Law in Michigan

My father lives in Detroit, I am in Houghton, MI. I need to get guardianship over him as he has severe dementia. How do I go about doing this, and can it be done in Houghton County or must it be done in Macomb county where he currently resides?

Asked on 9/11/10, 6:57 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jerrold Bartholomew Priority Elder Law and Estate Planning, PLC

Unfortunately, guardianship venue is strictly determined by location of the ward (the person to be protected). So, you would have to file in Macomb County.

Read more
Answered on 9/16/10, 7:04 pm
Don Rosenberg Barron, Rosenberg, Mayoras & Mayoras, P. C.

You will need to file for guardianship (medical, care, treatment, custody and placement decisions) and conservatorship (financial decisions) in the County where your father lives. This means that you would have to file in Macomb County.

I understand that your father has dementia. I would like you to know I am the Chair of the Elder Law section of the State of Michigan and Chair of the Board of Directors of the Alzheimer's Association - Greater Michigan Chapter. I work with families touched by dementia every day.

If you would like to discuss your situation please feel free to contact me. Here is my web site.

Good Luck.

Don Rosenberg

Read more
Answered on 9/16/10, 7:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Michigan