Legal Question in Elder Law in Michigan

mother lives with me 92 years old health is starting to fail she hase about 20000.00 to name i know if she goes into a nursing home before gov starts paying all hir money hase to be gone if she gives it away how far back do they check back

Asked on 2/02/10, 9:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sanford Mall, JD, CELA Mall Malisow & Cooney, PC

The Medicaid policy provides for a 60 month (5 year) look back for any divestment (giving assets away). However, there are ways to successfully protect the money she has left. Then, if she needed nursing care, the protected money could be used to help make sure that she gets the care she needs and deserves. You should seek the advice of an experienced elder law attorney to learn what planning options are available.

Read more
Answered on 2/07/10, 1:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Michigan