Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

We allowed our 16year old daughter to stay with a friend of the family during a Protective service investigation, prior to the investigation being completed my wife was arrested and charged with a felony. Prior to bonding her out of jail I started limited guardianship due to my physical disability. As time progressed I found out I am capable of taking care of my daughter and the Protective service cleared my daughter to return home, and my wifes bond was modified to allow her to be around our daughter. As we tried to get our daughter to return home we have met with resistance to us and the family she is staying with cut off almost all contact with us, and are saying that our daughter does not want to come home due to her issues. When she is with us she says she wants to come home, but does not like to deal with me and my way of parenting, I am more strict than her mother, and the family she is staying with. What are our options?

Asked on 3/17/12, 4:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Stern William Stern, P.C.

If you try to force your form of parenting on a 16 year old, not only will you be met with resistance but resentment. You should talk to her and see what she really wants to do. If she wants to stay with the other people, talk to them and make arrangements. If she stays with them, keep up lots of positive contact. Using the legal system to get involved with this will result in disaster.

Read more
Answered on 3/18/12, 4:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan