Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

change of custody

What does it take to get a change of custody? My Ex was just remarried on Dec. 22nd, 2004. My son informed me of the marriage on Dec. 28th, my new wife and I called the Macomb County building to confirm. Currently she is living at her mothers in Eastpointe, yet to move in with the new husband in Dearborn Hts. She says she is waiting till she and my 6 yr old son finish school in June. Meanwhile she and my son spend thier weekends at the new husband's house where there is no bed for my son. He sleeps in the same bed as they do. I find this to be disgusting and disturbing. My son has said to me that her mom cannot afford a bed for him at the new place.

Is this legal? Is there someone besides FOC that I can call or should call?

Thanks in advance for any help

Asked on 1/15/05, 9:58 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Henry J. Legere, Jr. Law Office of Henry J. Legere, Jr.

Re: change of custody

If you believe that your child is being abused or neglected or placed into danger contact the Michigan Family Independence Agency - Children Protective Services. Why doen't your son sleep on the couch? Suggest to your ex that they purchase a cot for your child. You could purchase a cot for your son to use as well. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 1/15/05, 10:04 pm

Jesse Sweeney Sweeney Law Offices, P.L.L.C.

Re: change of custody

If this is not a situation where your child is being harmed, but is being placed in a poor environment, you can move for a change of custody based on change in circumstances. It is a process best handled by an attorney. Feel free to call for more info 1-888-31-SWEENEY.

Read more
Answered on 1/15/05, 11:30 pm
Blake Lipman Law Office of Blake P. Lipman

Re: change of custody

It certainly sounds as if there may be grounds to look into a change of custody. You will need proof of the sleeping arrangement. Are there other instances of "poor parenting?" For more info, please contact my office at (248)851-3171.

Read more
Answered on 1/17/05, 9:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan