Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

Children's extracurricular activities

My ex-husband and I have joint physical custody of my son, who's 10 and my daughter age 8, with me as primary Recently he and his fiancee signed my daughter up for dance classes which is fine except they are saying that by me wanting to be there to watch her; I am intruding on ''his day''. I have put both my children in sports since they were 6 years old and have been at all their practices and games. I feel I have the right as their mother to be at whatever sport or class they are in no matter who signs them up. Please give me your advice on this issue. My ex-husband's fiancee'has expressed her disapproval of me being at my childrens sports events by swearing and calling me names in front of my daughter and my son's baseball team this summer. Our children enjoy having both their mother and father watching them and I don't feel they should have to sacrifice that or be made to feel uncomfortable just because their father is now engaged. This seems to becoming more of a problem and I am very concerned and would like to stop this from happening. What should I do?

Asked on 10/07/06, 12:16 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

William Stern William Stern, P.C.

Re: Children's extracurricular activities

File amotion in court to obtain a court order allowing you to watch the recital, etc. Also, tell the new wife that if she ever says anything about you in front of the children in a disapproving manner, that you will file a motion to prevent her from having contact with the children. Tell her, on tape, that from now on, assume that all conversations with the children are monitored. Then, if you ever find that she does it again and have decent proof (not the testimony of the kids), file the motion. William S. Stern

Read more
Answered on 10/08/06, 9:26 am

Charles Kronzek Kronzek & Cronkright P.L.L.C.

Children's extracurricular activities

You should tell the ex and his fiancee that the next time they decide to act like morons in front of your child, your lawyer will being the matter before your judge. Then follow through the very next time.

Chuck Kronzek

Read more
Answered on 10/07/06, 1:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan