Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

My ex and I have been divorced since MArch of 2008, I divorced him because he was abusive and controlling, however there was never any proof, bad on my part. He took everything and left me with nothing, including our 3 boys. I have been paying him child support since before our divorce was final. I was working a minimum wage job that started at about 36 hours a week with a pay rate of 7.40 an hour, and was paying him 225 as this was an offer i made to pay him and his attorney advised he accepted it, as time went on my hours decreased and I needed to have support lowered beacause I didnt have enough to live off. SInce that time I have re-married, and also gotten my drivers license and my GED whih I was unable to do while I was married to my ex because of his abuse. My current husband is Canadian, and I am living in Canada but just starting the Immigration process, my support got lowered to 178 but they want to do a 6 month review hearing, I cannot cross the border because I could be denied entry to either country. FOC told me if we reached an agreement and submitted that the court hearing would be cancelled. My new husband has been paying my support and he has children of his own. If I levae Canada i may never be allowed to see my husband or step kids again if the US denies me back in I may never be able to see my 3 boys again my ex now thinks i should pay him $450 a month based on what he would make if there was a second income in his household ( he had a wife) that worked a minimum wage job.My ex keepps trying to prevent me from oving forward no matter what direction I take, there has to be a way to put a stop to his abuse and control. Please Help

Asked on 1/13/10, 7:10 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Kronzek Kronzek & Cronkright P.L.L.C.

You will not resolve your case on the internet. Hire an experienced family law attorney to help you get through this problem. A Michigan divorce attorney should be able to get this resolved for you. If we can help you, feel free to phone us at 1 866-766-5245.

Read more
Answered on 1/18/10, 7:46 pm

Melissa Pearce Law Office of Melissa M. Pearce, PLC

Your case has very unique aspects to it. You need an attorney experienced both in immigration issues and divorce. You should contact Rathi, Marcus & Goldsmith at (800) 510-8421.

Read more
Answered on 1/19/10, 10:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan