Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

My ex-wife and I divorced in Sacramento California in 1974. I was ordered to pay $65.00 a month in child support. My child was 4 years old one month after the judgment. My ex left California and moved to Michigan almost immediately.

I was ordered to pay my child support payments payable to the Office of the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office of which I did every month until 1988 when she turned 18.

My ex contacted me two weeks ago (June 2013) from Michigan (25 years after my child’s 18th birthday, she is now 43 years old) to tell me she never received any child support payments and submitted her claim to a collection agency for 18K.

I went to Sacramento Department of Child Support Services) to get proof of my payments. I was told that they changed systems a few times since 1988 and there are no records available except to tell me my case was closed and that there are no liens against me according to the County Clerk-Recorder, County of Sacramento.

How do I respond and what are my options?

Asked on 7/04/13, 5:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Kronzek Kronzek & Cronkright P.L.L.C.

You can hire an attorney to dispute the debt or you can contest it on your own. The collection agency must leave you owe the money.

Read more
Answered on 7/04/13, 6:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan