Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

If a father does not have legal custody of his child, can he make his child go to a family therapist with the father without the mothers concent

Asked on 3/05/11, 4:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Stern William Stern, P.C.

The father may have joint legal custody but not physical custody. If so, while he may legally be able to take the child to a doctor, he should not do so without the. Mother's permission. The mother should raise the issue with the judge and perhaps, they should eliminate the father's joint legal custody for pulling the stunt. If the father feels the child needs professional help but the mother does not, then perhaps there should not be joint custody because the parents cannot agree on the important things in the child's life.

Read more
Answered on 3/05/11, 5:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan