Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

My soon to be husband wants to adopt my son.. My son dad is not in his life and does not even pay child support.

Asked on 2/06/10, 8:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Audra Arndt Audra A. Arndt & Associates, PLLC

You need to retain a lawyer that is familiar with adoption laws to help you through the process for terminating the father's rights and proceeding with the adoption. Non-payment of child support is not a reason to terminate parental rights, but may be considered by the court as evidence of non-involvement or disinterest in the child's well-being and life in general. The more important factors are how often the father sees the child, if at all, and the father's position on the matter. If he's a deadbeat, he may want to terminate his parental rights so he is not obligated to pay child support anymore. If the father doesn't consent to the adoption, he would need to file objections with the court and/or attend a hearing. If he doesn't consent, but fails to voice any objections, then it may be granted by the court.

Read more
Answered on 2/13/10, 9:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan