Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

my husband and I have a 14 yr. old daughter. We separated about 6 yrs. ago and he moved to Kansas from Michigan. He moved back to Michigan in August of 2009. We have never divorced and did not have a legal separation. He did however marry again in November 2009. How do I prove we are not divorced? I know that their marriage is not legal but I have been told that I have to prove that we are not divorced. Is this true? Who do I go to for help? I asked at the county court house and they didn't know where I should start. I know I should have a lawyer but I have NO money, I live on SSI which is barely nothing. I am supposed to get child support but haven't received it since last August. I was told that he has filed for social security. I have no idea how to contact him, I think I know what city he is in. He last saw our daughter I think in January, 2010. He has not contacted her since June 2010, he left a message that said he sent her a birthday card which never came. Could you just help me with things like where do I file charges, will it cost me anything, are we entitled to anything that he has ( friend of the court forced him to put our daughter on his medical insurance). Anything that you can help with is so very much appreciated. Thank You for your time.

Asked on 3/31/12, 1:09 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Kronzek Kronzek & Cronkright P.L.L.C.

If your husband has committed the crime of bigamy, you can report this to the county sheriff. If he has filed for Social Security benefits, you and your child might also qualify for benefits under his claim. Contact your nearest Social Security office for details.

Read more
Answered on 3/31/12, 9:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan