Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

How can i leave without his permission

I would like to know if there is anything that i can do to move out of Michigan when i am 16 other than being emancipated(my parents have joint custody and my mom has sole physical custody)she has no problem with me leaving because i would be moving in with a friend but i dont want to be held down here. my dad in the past was abusive he almost injured my wrist many mom,grandmother,friends, and other family as witnesses. I just do not want to be around any longer, what can I do? and if i were to be emancipated would that be enough reason?

Asked on 5/02/07, 8:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rochelle Guznack Law Offices of Rochelle E. Guznack, PLLC

Re: How can i leave without his permission

The number of 16 year olds who think they are mature enough to make it on their own amazes and concerns me. You are obviously not mature enough to make these decisions at 16, but, unfortunately, do not know it yet and won't know it for about another 5-6 years. Because your father "almost injured your wrist" does not sound like a strong case for abuse. If you can prove to a court that you should be emancipated and get such an order, then you are on your own.

Read more
Answered on 5/03/07, 8:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan