Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

Do i have legal custody of my child?

I am 17wks pregnant and i am no longer w/the father. WE are unwed and i am 17 and he is 19. He keeps threatening to take my baby away from me and i was just wondering if he could do that? I also want to know if it would be possible to get a restraining order on him because he keeps harassing me.(my due date is July 4, 2005)please help.

Asked on 1/30/05, 10:30 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Blake Lipman Law Office of Blake P. Lipman

Re: Do i have legal custody of my child?

You are nearly a shoe-in for custody, unless he can show you are an unfit parent. If you are mentally ill or a drug addict, you may have reason for concern. Barring that, you should name the man as the father on the birth certificate. After the baby is born, seek a competent attorney to get an order for support and custody. For more info, please contact my office at (248)851-3171.

Read more
Answered on 2/03/05, 10:08 am

William Stern William Stern, P.C.

Re: Do i have legal custody of my child?

When the baby is born, get an inexpensive lawyer to get an order for child support and custody (giving you custody). He doesn't have a chance to get custody unless you do something really stupid, which I'm sure you won't. Get a good, inexpensive lawyer. William Stern 248-353-9400

Read more
Answered on 1/30/05, 11:09 pm
Jesse Sweeney Sweeney Law Offices, P.L.L.C.

Re: Do i have legal custody of my child?

He may be allowed to have shared rights to custody and visitation, but he shouldn't be able to 'take' your child away from you without proving that you've committed some kind of crime. If he is bothering you and threatening you, yes you can get a restraining order against him. You should do this soon to protect yourself and your unborn child. Feel free to contact me for more information. 1-888-31-SWEENEY.

Read more
Answered on 1/30/05, 11:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan