Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

minor child visitation rights

''Father'' behind in court ordered support has had no contact with 10 year old child for 9 years. He decided to do a DNA test a week ago since court will not lower his support and he and his wife did not think child was his. Showed child is his. Now he wants visitation rights with child. After child was born I have papers from court in 1997, saying he has every other weekend, holidays, etc. but he has never seen the child. What are my rights as the child's mother. Can I not let him have visitation, can I ask for it to be supervised on a limited basis, or what? The child is not going to want to go with a stranger they do not even know. This ''father'' also had 3 children with a different mother went to court, gave up all rights to them because she was getting remarried and her new husband wanted to adopt the 3 kids. He told the court that the new father was better then him, so he could get out of the court ordered payments. The new father adopted and the ''father'' got out of paying anymore support. This is the kind of person I am dealing with. Is there anything I can do to stop him from having any rights to my child?

Asked on 4/15/07, 4:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rochelle Guznack Law Offices of Rochelle E. Guznack, PLLC

Re: minor child visitation rights

The facts will determine what kind of visitation takes place. You write that you do not want the father to have any rights to the child, but you want him to continue paying child support. I am a strong advocate for women, but this position does not make sense. In my opinion, you should take a consistent and reasonable position, but the judge will ultimately decide.

Read more
Answered on 4/16/07, 7:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan