Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

he wants to pa less in arrearages

My daughters father owes over 10 thousand in back child support, i just recently started receiving somewhat regular payments. He has never paid on his own accord, all payments I have recieved have been levies and garnishments. Is it possible that when we go in front of the referee that they will lower his back payments???

Asked on 8/27/07, 12:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Guy Clark Clark Legal Services, PLC

Re: he wants to pa less in arrearages

It is possible. The court has discretion to set the payback amount. But if you insist on getting more (according to federal law)they have the ability to set it as high as 65% of his net weekly income , if he has no other family. The key is to show the court--or referee--why you need the payback quickly. Generally, showing financial need and support of children is helpful.

Read more
Answered on 8/27/07, 1:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan