Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

recording conversations

I recorded a phone conversation my kids were having with their mother. The phone was on speaker phone And I used a hand held recorder. Their mother is taking me to court for not letting her speak to our children and in the conversation she admits to talking with them a lot. Michigan is a state that requires both parties to consent to the taping. She wrote me a letter stating that she was recording the conversations. Does that qualify as consent? Does that give my rights to record as well?

Asked on 1/21/08, 1:43 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Kronzek The Kronzek Firm PLC

Re: recording conversations

There are Federal laws and State of Michigan laws that apply to this situation. You should have a law firm working with you. Preferably the firm will have BOTH criminal law and family law experts. I recommend that you call Attorney Mike Cronkright at

1 8005766035 for a consultation.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/08, 7:18 am
Rochelle Guznack Law Offices of Rochelle E. Guznack, PLLC

Re: recording conversations

In Michigan, consent to record is not required if the person recording is a participant in the telephone conversation.

Read more
Answered on 1/27/08, 3:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan