Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

"my son's father hasn't seen my son for 7 yrs, he does not pay child support, my son's father has over dosed several times. been incarcerated several times he also has been institutionalized for attempted suicide. Can I have his parental rights terminated?"

Asked on 9/19/13, 7:23 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Kronzek Kronzek & Cronkright P.L.L.C.

You can ask the court to terminate his rights.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/13, 7:33 am

Jared Austin Austin Legal Services, PLC

Yes, you can initiate proceedings to terminate his rights under grounds of abandonment and not contributing to the support of the child. Seven years is far longer that is legally necessary. Most courts have packets and can walk you through the process yourself or you can hire an attorney to do it for you which I recommend. After the pre-trial determination, a bench trial will be held to terminate the rights of the father.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/13, 1:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan