Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Michigan

I recently had a friend over for the night one day after she left I noticed my $6000 ring missing. The ring was in my night stand drawer she's the only person that's been in my home since the last time I saw it. When I first noticed it was missing. I called and asked her if she saw it she said "no". I continued searching my house even though I know were I last saw it because I didn't want to believe that she would steal from me. She never offered to come help me look for it, she never even called me again. So after a week I go over her house and confront her about it she continued to deny it . It has been two weeks now, legally what can I do?

Asked on 9/26/09, 12:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brad Aldrich Aldrich Legal Services

The first thing I would suggest is calling the police. If you were to sue civily you would carry the burden of proof that she took the ring and it does not sound like you have any evidence. Let the police do the work for you. You can then get a hold of the police report, investigation report and if she is charged and convicted the court documents. They could all be used then to sue her if needed. Often though, part of the Defendant's sentence in the criminal case will be restitution to the victim. This means they would have to pay back the ring if she does not have it anymore. Aldrich Legal Services specializes in Civil Litigation, along with Real Estate, Family Law, Probate and Bankruptcy matters. If you believe that we could be of service please visit our website at or call me, Brad Aldrich, directly at (734) 404-3000 for a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 10/02/09, 3:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Michigan