Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Michigan

I moved in to a college housing apartment where I had threee other roommates and we each were in seperate leases paying 345 a month. I moved in on June 15, 2011. One occupant I was in a romantic relationship with and when I ended the relationship we had a physical altercation where police were called and it resulted in me being arrested on November 2, 2011 and being charged with domestic violence. Upon being released November 5, 2011 on bond, a condition of my bond was a no contact order which meant I was no longer allowed to live in the apartment complex, not just that apartment. I gave the landlord a copy of those papers on November 23, 2011 which I felt should get me out of my lease since it was a legal matter and not my personal choice to leave. The apartment community states that I currently still owe them the remanding amount that would have been paid for the months of November through May. My lease was for June 15, 2011 until May 30, 2012. I recieved a discount for being in an apartment until which housed the internet router for my entire building. So instead of paying $345 a month I was paying $335 a month. I was giving the months of June and July rent free and I paid rent for the months of August, September and October. The rent was due by the 4th of every month. The landlord is currently threaten to take me to court for $2428. Am I legally still responsible for the rent after the landlord had been notify and given proof of me not being able to live in the unit. All of my possessions were also removed from the apartment, I had a friend of mine go pick everything up

Asked on 2/13/12, 9:06 am

2 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC

You are still in breach of the contract and they can collect against you. Your order was based on your actions and not the landlords, so they don't lose the right to enforce the contract. Tim Klisz

Read more
Answered on 2/13/12, 9:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Michigan