Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Michigan

I bought a house and put my then girlfriend's name on it as well (first mistake). We thought we were going to get married but that obviously did not happen.

I bought the house for $30,000 and put in another $15-20 thousand of my own money. She did not put any money towards the house. Her brother does construction and helped with repairs. I paid for all materials.

I have been trying to settle things with her and offered to pay her brother a reasonable amount for labor and give her $5000 dollars on top of that. She responds by saying that she wants $20,000 to take her name off, or that we sell the house and spilt the profit.

I do not want to sell and she has no basis for anything close to $20,000.

My questions are is there anything I can do in my situation. The house is in both of our names and she also refuses to split property taxes ( am I able to sue her and get half?)

Since then I am currenltly living in the house and she has moved out.

Asked on 10/25/11, 7:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC

You will need to sue her to quiet title. It will certainly cost you money to do so, but certainly less than her unreasonable $20,000 demand. I would be happy to assist you in this case. Tim Klisz

Read more
Answered on 10/25/11, 7:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Michigan