Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Michigan


My sister and I co-own a cottage after my mother's death. ''Joint tenants with full rights to survivorship'' is the method of ownership and all three names(mother, sister and myself) are listed.

I do not want to continue co-owning but my sister does.

Can I, in priority order, force her to sell her part of the cottage to me, to sell to someone else, or to buy me out?

Also, should the ''Joint tenant with full rights to survivorship'' method of ownership be changed to protect my wife's interests in the cottage while the ownership discussion progresses? If so, can I force this change?

Asked on 8/28/06, 6:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Don Darnell Darnell & Lulgjuraj, P.C.

Re: Co-ownership

You can force a sale by what is called a partition action. I do not believe that you can change the deed to add your wife, since that would change the nature of the deed.

Read more
Answered on 8/28/06, 8:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Michigan