Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Michigan

Hello, my name is Rebekah and any help you could offer would be very helpful.

I am asking questions for my mother. My parents are not married, they divorced in 1994 but in 1997 they bought a house together so they would both be close to children. Children are very much grown up. My mother Deborah has been trying for years to leave my father. He refuses to sell the house or be bought out. He does not work he collects social security and cannot afford the house by himself. She works 60 plus hours and makes over 60k a year and can afford the house but wants to move for a fresh start. There are many more emotional issues at stake but I won't list them here and now.

What I want to know is how my mother can go about legally getting him to sell the house or buy him out, he won't budge at all. This has been going on for years. She feels helpless and has been in a severe state of depression.

Asked on 9/28/12, 5:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC

Great question and very simple answer. She will need o hire an attorney and file a Partition action against him in Circuit Court. The Judge will essentially order a forced sale or buyout of the property and she can move on. I would be happy to help. Contact me at to get started. Thanks, Tim Klisz

Read more
Answered on 9/28/12, 5:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Michigan