Legal Question in Social Security Law in Michigan

iam 29 my mental doctor told me to apply for ssi. I suffer from general and social anxity, hyperactive, depression, post-tramic stress disorder and intermission explosive disorder, when i get my i blackout and hurt other. I have a phone interview 2morrow at 1230 should i try to find a lawyer and at what point do i. aLast what information should i have right next to me

Asked on 2/13/11, 4:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Heard Heard & Smith, LLP

Be sure to have the names, addresses and phone numbers of any doctors who have treated you, as well as any hospitals you have been in, etc. If you don't have all of that information do your best to collect as much as you can. If you can't tell SSA who your doctors are, they can't request the records. You mention your "mental doctor". I assume that is a psychiatrist or psychologist. If so, that doctor's evidence will be especially important.

You don't have to have a lawyer help you file, but I would recommend it, especially with the facts you describe. You are a young person and apparently your disability is primarily mental. A lawyer can gather the Residual Functional Capacity information from your treating doctor in a way that may make your case stronger. Many lawyers won't accept a case until the application has been filed but a lot of lawyers will take your case from the beginning and complete the application for you, then send it to SSA and also help you with the other forms SSA will be sending for you to complete.

Good luck in obtaining your benefits.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/11, 2:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Michigan