Legal Question in Traffic Law in Michigan

Leaving scene of PI accident

Does my daughter need an atty with her when she goes to court for a ticket for leaving the scene of a PI accident? The other girl was uncooperative with police and refused medical treatment at the scene. The girl and 2 friends of hers called and texted my daughter prior to showing up where she was at and then attacked her & my car with her in it (they dented the car 2 places), they also tried to pull her out of the car at least once and when she was trying to get away, she hit the one girl and two parked cars. She did not immediately report the incident. At the time of the incident, she was also wearing an air cast on her driving foot - she didn't have time to remove it - this caused her to not have good control of the car.

Asked on 12/29/08, 8:45 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys


Re: Leaving scene of PI accident

It would be wise to have representation as the offense may result in driver responsibility fees, 6 points, and licensing actions. That is only the Secretary of State's action. There is also the possibilty of jail as it is a misdemeanor.

Feel free to contact my office anytime to discuss the matter further. Call toll free 877 MICH-TEAM

Eric I. Kutinsky, Esq

The Michigan Legal Team, PC

Read more
Answered on 12/29/08, 9:00 pm

Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC

Re: Leaving scene of PI accident

This is a very serious charge and she would certainly need quality representation. I have handled this kind of case many times with very good results. Please contact me at to discuss. Tim Klisz

Read more
Answered on 12/29/08, 9:09 pm
William Morrison Action Defense Center

Re: Leaving scene of PI accident

Judges and prosecutors suspect that the most common reason for kids leaving the scene is that the underage driver was drinking or drugging.

She's charged with "hit and run" - a one year misdemeanor, $1000 fine plus court costs, probation fees, and 90 days hard suspension of her license which will add 6 points to it. Also a $500/year license penalty must be paid to the state for two years.

Restitution to the owners of the damaged cars must also be paid.

If she has a clean record, it's unlikely she'll go to jail. If there's any drug/alcohol record (MIP's, Possession) she could do time.

Your next insurance company (your current insurance will drop her) will set a hefty premium.

She will likely be drug and alcohol tested for the next two years. It would be advisable to clean up her act now, so the court won't find anything on her first test.

All the above is hers if she chooses to appear in court without an attorney.

An experienced lawyer will do everything possible to get your daughter a much better outcome.

Read more
Answered on 12/29/08, 9:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Michigan