Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Michigan

My Brother died in November. He had no will and was supported by the state with social security. I am his only living relative. He only had 2 older vehicles and some personal items. no other assets. Lived in an apartment.

I don't know if I should try and deal with this or just let creditors do what they do. It is a losing situation for me. The cost of my time far exceeds any assets he had. already covered the funeral.

Asked on 12/13/18, 11:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Tatone John R. Tatone & Associates PLC

You should go to the local probate court with the funeral receipt and complete a "small estate" form. This will give you the authority to sell/transfer the cars to reimburse yourself for the funeral. It is simple and avoids the creditors if those are his only assets.

Read more
Answered on 12/31/18, 6:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Michigan