Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Michigan

father passed and step mother didn't contact meMy father passed

My father passed 10/07/1992 and I never was contacted.I accessed the wayne county probate court web page hoping to retreive some info. That is how I learned he had passed away. I was hoping to be able to access some public records so I could see the will. I didn't expect my father would of left me anything but I know he would of included my brother because he was his favorite and they were close while we were growing up before my parents divorced.I know my father had my brother as beneficiary on his life insurance policies after the divorce also there was a family air loom thats worth a lot of money that was to be handed down to my brother and my grandfather and great grandfather would roll over in their graves if they knew he didn't get it when my dad passed. The case status says administration closed it on

3/28/2002 and there would be no memorandum required to reopen it.Am I entitled to anything even if I wasn't mention in the will and can the estate be reopened if my brother was mentioned in the will. We are the only living immediate family members.There was also property and stocks and bonds from his job with G.M.( white collar job) Is there any hope forn my brother getting what he has coming to him please advise Thank You!

Asked on 1/02/05, 10:33 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

William Stern William Stern, P.C.

Re: father passed and step mother didn't contact meMy father passed

Actually, the question that you ask has many potential variables. Your father could have left property to others through insurance that would have bypassed probate and would not be viewable by looking at the will. Property can be passed by having someone on a deed or bank account. That too would bypass probate scrutiny. There are just so many ways to give property to others and avoid the scrutiny of the system. William S. Stern 248-353-9400

Read more
Answered on 1/03/05, 6:55 am

Blake Lipman Law Office of Blake P. Lipman

Re: father passed and step mother didn't contact meMy father passed

You may have grounds to contest the will, if it appears you were "forgotten" in the will. For more info., please contact my office at (248)851-3171.

Read more
Answered on 1/04/05, 2:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Michigan