Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Michigan

Information about pension benefits

My spouse expired and had a pension, how can I find out if I am eligible to recieve his pension. We were divorced but neither of us remarried.

Asked on 5/21/07, 11:05 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Audra Arndt Audra A. Arndt & Associates, PLLC

Re: Information about pension benefits

You need to contact the decedent's employer or whoever is administering the pension. Also, this may have been provided for in your judgment of divorce as to whether or not you would be entitled to part of his pension. Do it immediately as they will probably have to send you an information packet in the mail. If you are eligible, there are usually some options you have to choose.

Since you are not a "surviving spouse," chances are you that you will not be entitled to anything.

Read more
Answered on 6/01/07, 9:05 pm

Regina Mullen Legal Data Services, PLC

Re: Information about pension benefits

Contact local counsel.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/07, 4:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Michigan