Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Michigan


my question is my father passed away in october 2006 he was remarried in 1999 to this woman my mother passed away in 1988 my father and mother had this house since 1968 my father and this woman remortage this house for 97000.00 the house is worth 350000.00 -300000.00 my dad and this woman had a trust set up none of us kids got to see this trust but was told i was the trustee for my dads side and one of her kids was for her side now i get a letter from her lawyer stating that she is selling this house and keeping all the money from this and that she has the right to change this trust and that if we want any of the stuff personal belongings out of the house that belonged to our mother or father to come and get by june 30 the letter was not certified and my father had bought a suddivision to build house on and sell them we where told that he was giving each of the children a lot which just her children have received a lot what can we do please help this house is located in michigan

Asked on 5/12/07, 7:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Ari Berris The Berris Law Firm, P.C.

Re: trust

Your situation is not uncommon. What you need to do first is to request a copy of the trust. The trust itself will speak to what your step-mother can and cannot do with the property.

You must find a qualified attorney in the State where the property is located because Estate Planning laws, including trusts, differ from State to State.

If we can be of any assistance please contact us directly. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/07, 9:35 am

Regina Mullen Legal Data Services, PLC

Re: trust

You have to look at the facts of what your father and his wife set up, not what you *thought* was going to happen.

Get a local lawyer to review the paperwork and then figure out what to do.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/07, 3:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Michigan