Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Michigan

No will

my mother passed away2/2/09 I have lived in her house with her since 1997.she lived up Ilived down. my little sister wants her daughter, boyfriend and 2kids to move in. Do I have to let them move in?oh Iam the next of kin. my older brother is not in the picture. Do I have the right to not let anyone in here too?

Asked on 5/07/09, 10:56 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jerrold Bartholomew Priority Elder Law and Estate Planning, PLC

Re: No will

It sounds like you have a very difficult situation. Unless some kind of a deed was prepared before your mother's death, the house will have to go through the probate system and you and your siblings will each have an equal share.

Read more
Answered on 5/07/09, 10:59 am
Renee Walsh LawRefs Nonprofit

Re: No will

If your mom had no will and no spouse, then the property would be distributed to you and your siblings. As such, your little sister would have some say as to who lived in your mother's portion of the house and in the portion in which you reside. You should start by opening an estate in the probate court. My view is to resolve the matter in an amicable way. Dispute can be negative and negativity can cause unnecessary strife.

If you have further questions or concerns, please let me know. I can be reached via my free legal advice website,

Read more
Answered on 5/07/09, 12:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Michigan