Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

disorderly conduct

i cursed at a strange man @ the bus stop on a.m. for grabbing my granddaughter by the arm to tell her to leave his daughter alone. i saw it all and reported this to my local police who this man is freinds with.the cop told me that if i drop this complaint against him they wont charge me with disorderly conduct. well i have to go to court on march 17@9am . is there ant help for me?

Asked on 3/09/09, 10:49 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense Services

Re: disorderly conduct

The police are not the court. Hire a good criminal defense lawyer and fight it. You appear to state a "defense of others" defense.


Read more
Answered on 3/19/09, 8:23 pm

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

Re: disorderly conduct

I am not sure that I understand. You certainly have a defense to a disorderly conduct charge if you were acting to protect your daughter.

For a FREE consultation call 612.240.8005.

Read more
Answered on 3/09/09, 12:31 pm
Tom James Law Office of Tom James

Re: disorderly conduct

There might be several kinds of defenses available to you. Depending on the particular circumstances and words involved, it might be possible to raise a 'defense of others' defense and/or a First Amendment defense. Unless you don't intend to fight it, you should enter a "not guilty" plea at your first appearance. Since it's a misdemeanor you could also ask for a jury trial. If you can't afford an attorney you should ask for a public defender.

Read more
Answered on 3/09/09, 4:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota