Legal Question in Disability Law in Minnesota

My 18 year old son is a non-drinker. He was in his dorm being very, very bored and some college friends convinced him to go to a party with them. He hesitated but was so bored he decided to go. No sooner did he have 1 beer and cops surrounded the place and gave everyone a minor consumption. He wished he would have never gone, but we all make wrong decisions. He is worried this will go on his record. It's his first offense for any type of legal issue. Do you think it will go on his record?

Asked on 9/12/10, 8:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Julie Plumitis Plumitis Law LLC

Even though it is a minor offense, he should retain an attorney to assist him in negotiating a plea to a reduced charge. This is assuming that the evidence against him has been gathered correctly (it appears so). The reason - he doesn't want this on his record. Some graduate schools, even some jobs require a list of any convictions that go beyond a speeding ticket. Having a clean record is certainly favorable. However, the judge will likely not care that he was bored or that he regretted his actions. In fact, judges tend to go easier on those who take responsibility for the things they've done wrong.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/10, 9:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Disability Discrimination Law (ADA) questions and answers in Minnesota