Legal Question in Appeals and Writs in Minnesota

How can I collect $2500 owed by a ''friend''.

In May of 2003, I made an verbal arrangement with a friend in which I agreed to provide a deposition in support of a sexual harassment claim she was bringing against an old employer we had in common. Like her, I was fired from my job and evicted from my home because I would not date the boss! Unlike her, I didn't have the guts to pursue my own case against him in 1999 when it happened to me. My friend convinced me to face him once again in her defense by offering me a sum of $2500 should she arrive at a cash settlement. This verbal agreement was witnessed by at least 3 other people. I've recently discovered this ''friend'' has received and spent ALL of the money she was granted and has lied about this fact for the last 7-8 months! When I tried to contact her in regard to collecting my share, she phoned the police and reported me for harassment! I am fit to be tied and desperate for some good, legal advice. I am wondering if this situation would be worth pursuing in a small claims court? I deeply appreciate any consideration you may give me. Thank you!

--name removed--

Asked on 2/10/04, 2:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Maury Beaulier Attorney at Law

Re: How can I collect $2500 owed by a ''friend''.

The debt is not collectible since she cannot offer to pay you for non-expert testimony.

Read more
Answered on 2/10/04, 12:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Appeals and Writs questions and answers in Minnesota