Legal Question in Business Law in Minnesota

The company I work for got bought out by another company today. The new company gave me a 3 year non- compete contract that I need to sign and return tomorrow morning. If I don't sign this contract and they fire me tomorrow, will I get un-employment benefits? If so, who pays for these unemployment benefits, the old company or the new company?

Asked on 8/20/14, 5:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Anderson Anderson Business Law LLC

If you are terminated for reasons other than misconduct, you will normally be eligible for UE benefits.

Your benefits were paid by YOU ( and the company who is terminating you) through the UE system.

Presumably the new company will NOT hire you unless you sign the NC agreement.

You should have an experienced business attorney review the NC agreement , since 3 years sounds excessive.

I have litigated these on both sides.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/14, 5:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Minnesota