Legal Question in Business Law in Minnesota

I worked as a sub-contrator for a snow plowing company. The Company hasn't paid me the last check which is now three days overdue. What can I do to get paid? I have always submitted him an invoice and now he is claiming that he has over paid us throughout the year and wants me to let him see what we got paid plus what I paid other sub-contractors. I don't think he has a right to see that information. Someone told me I can file a lien against the company I am not sure what that is exactly, until he pays me. The amount of the check is around 1600.00, plus now he wants me to return truck magnets he gave out in the beginning of the year, I lost two of them and had them replaced, I told him I would give him the magnets for a check. What else can I do if he decides to not pay me?

Asked on 2/03/11, 4:00 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Daniel Reiff Reiff Law Office

The answer to your questions depends on the language in your contract. Without knowing what it says, though, it is impossible to answer.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/11, 8:17 am

Kevin B. Murphy Franchise Foundations, APC

As a Franchise Attorney I agree with the other attorney answer. There are simply too many unknowns here. You really need to consult with a good business or franchise attorney in your area for specific advice.

Mr. Franchise - Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D.

Franchise Foundations, a Professional Corporation

Read more
Answered on 2/09/11, 12:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Minnesota