Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Minnesota

My Boyfriend is a Registered Sex Offender, he is in treatment and on Probation, I am his Supervisor. We have 1 minor female child together that he has NO stipulations with. He also has 3 minor children 1 male 2 females from a previous relationship who he has no stipulations with and sees every other weekend unsupervised as per the courts, I have a daughter from a previous Relationship who, about a year ago in March started supervised visits with my boyfriend, we have always followed the rules that were set forth. CPS (Because of Law changes) investigated, and said they were going to open a case against me however I haven't heard anything from them since Jan.8th it is now May 1st, but in Jan. because of CPS the PO withdrew approval for the visits with my Daughter until a poly was passed which was done and passed in March, but visits weren't reinstated until the middle of April because they decided to throw another hoop of presenting and passing another goal for treatment before reinstating ANY supervised visits which before we had everyday 4-6 hours a day and now it's 3x a week 4 hours a day and 1x on the weekend for up to 6 hours. On April 15th My boyfriends Aunt kicked him out because he was unable to pay her rent so he is moved out and his address was changed, and his Aunt came to me and asked if I would rent the house from her since I can pay the rent and I am living at my moms at the time being. I talked to his PO to let her know that I would be moving in and she told me she would not approve it and that she felt like we were lying to her...he just passed a poly with flying colors in March, isn't that to prove that he isn't lying? and I have talked to his therapist for treatment and he has been very supportive of my boyfriend and he does not disapprove of me renting the house. I just need to know if legally I can rent the house without any repecusions from CPS?

Asked on 5/01/13, 2:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. It would be entirely inappropriate to provide a "yes/no" sort of response to your question regarding you legally renting a certain house without consequences from Child Protection Services. CPS’ role is to ensure the safety of children, to prevent and stop maltreatment of children (in the forms of abuse and neglect). CPS performs many functions including interfacing with law enforcement, and the County Attorney’s office and the court. I urge you to seek private attorney counsel immediately. The attorney will discuss the facts of the matter with you in great detail prior to providing you with appropriate legal advice. I suggest you choose an attorney with years of experience. If finances are an issue, some attorneys, not all, will provide you with a reduced fee. I myself do so in my work. You definitely need private attorney counsel now. All the best.

Read more
Answered on 5/02/13, 6:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Minnesota