Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Minnesota

(Minnesota) I sent my friend a payment of $2,500 in good faith that he would pay me back. A year later, he sent me a check of $3,000 that bounced. He stated that he was sorry for this, and then later sent me another check that bounced yet again. I told him that I would take him to small claims court for two bad checks, and he said that he would win because the checks did not pay for goods or services. Who is right?

Asked on 5/15/13, 11:02 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Hellmuth Hellmuth & Johnson, PLLC

In Minnesota, you can sue for the checks, plus a penalty of double the amount of the checks, plus attorneys' fees. You will need to send a notice of dishonor prior to suing and wait the requisite time period.

If you need to hire counsel, which I highly recommend, please feel free to contact me. David Hellmuth. [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 5/15/13, 11:06 am

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. I urge you to seek attorney counsel at this time. Beyond civil liability, the writer of a bad check faces possible criminal liability as well. Some attorneys, myself included, will confer for free, at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee for need. All the best. Feel free to contact me. Tricia Dwyer, Esq. at 62-296-9666.

Read more
Answered on 5/15/13, 11:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Minnesota