Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

I have a criminal history but have been doing great since I was released from parole 5 years ago. Today I was pulled over for driving after revocation and the cop, after acknowledging how well I've been doing, asked me to do controlled buys to get out of the ticket. I told him I would think about it so I could drive away but is it legal for him to ask me to do that, knowing I'm not a part of that lifestyle anymore over a traffic ticket?

Asked on 3/24/21, 2:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense

I'm not aware of any law that would prevent a drug cop from attempting to recruit an informant. Of course, there is similarly no law requiring a person to agree to risk their life and liberty by becoming a police informant. After declining the "offer," it would make sense to me to shift focus to (1) getting a valid driver's license; and (2) defending the DAR charge - with the help of a criminal defense attorney.

Read more
Answered on 3/26/21, 7:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota