Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

daughter received summons to court on a charge that happened in 2/12/2012. At the time of the arrest, she was brought in and talked to by an officer who told her that if she would give up information she would not be charged. She did as he said and two years later she received a summons. Can they do that?

Asked on 4/17/14, 12:34 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Nathan Hansen Nathan M. Hansen, Attorney at Law

Yes, lying is a valid investigative technique used by the police. Courts have found this to be a good method the police can use in ferreting out crime.

Never talk to the police without talking to a lawyer first. ALWAYS assume the police are lying regardless of the circumstances because of this judicially approved investigative technique called lying.

Nathan Hansen


Read more
Answered on 4/17/14, 1:13 pm
Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

Yes. Law enforcement has no obligation to tell as suspect the truth when investigating a crime. The nly person who can make a deal not to prosecute is a prosecutor. In most cases, it is best to exercise your right to remain silent and retain counsel.

Your daughter should retain counsel presently to protect her record.

For a FREE consultation call 612-240-8005.

Read more
Answered on 4/17/14, 4:09 pm
Samuel Edmunds Sieben | Edmunds PLLC

The short answer is yes. But there may be more to it. The best thing that you can do is to retain an attorney to handle this situation for your daughter. Good luck.

(651) 994-6744

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 4/17/14, 8:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota