Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota


I used to be an employee of Delta Airlines. One of the many benefits extended by the company to us was the use of free travel on Delta Airlines. My question is this, I no longer work for Delta, but am still listed in the travel database as eligible for travel. If I utilize a benefit that I used to have, that the company has not pulled me from, can I be sued or taken to court in any way? Can the company press criminal charges against me for traveling for free when I no longer work for the company, because they failed to pull me from the database?

Asked on 10/29/09, 12:58 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Chris Sullivan Sullivan Law Office, PLLC

In short - yes to criminal and yes to civil charges as well.

Read more
Answered on 11/03/09, 1:11 pm
Elizabeth Karnazes New York Offices of Elizabeth Karnazes

I agree with the previous answer, but check your employment and or termination contract. Perhaps you are eligible to travel for a short time after you leave the company as a severance or other benefit. I doubt it, but read the contract and talk to human resources to see if it is possible. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 11/03/09, 2:03 pm
Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

You could be charged criminally for a theft of service if you acquire a service without the intent to pay for that service and knowing you do not have a right to recieve it at no cost. Any theft with a value over $1000 would be considered a felony.

The airline may also file a civil case to recover the value of the service.

For Minnesota criminal defense issues visit

Read more
Answered on 11/03/09, 3:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota